Unfortunately, nearly 70% of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Kentucky consumers could pocket up to 30% a year just by shopping around, but most just don’t grasp how much savings they would realize if they switched.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get affordable car insurance prices is to compare prices regularly from insurers that insure vehicles in Lexington. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
First, learn about coverages and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices such as speeding tickets, careless driving and poor credit history can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to get affordable coverage and find possible discounts that are available.
Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
An essential thing to point out is that you’ll want to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price estimates from as many carriers as you can. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Locating the most cost-effective insurance policy in Lexington can be much easier if you know how to start. If you have insurance now, you will surely be able to get lower rates using these tips. Consumers only need to know the most efficient way to buy insurance on the web.
Auto insurance companies offering affordable rate quotes in Kentucky
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in Kentucky. In order to find the best car insurance in Lexington, KY, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the cheapest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$1,070||$535||$89|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$858||$429||$72|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$928||$464||$77|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,104||$552||$92|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,074||$537||$90|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$834||$417||$70|
|Honda Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,108||$554||$92|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$1,130||$565||$94|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,048||$524||$87|
|Toyota Tacoma 4WD||$928||$464||$77|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Premium data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Kentucky minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Table data does not factor in specific location which can affect premiums greatly.
How to lower your car insurance premiums
Many things are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but others are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
The items below are a few of the “ingredients” that factor into prices.
- What type of car, truck or SUV do you drive? – The performance of the car you own makes a substantial difference in your auto insurance rates. The most favorable rates are usually for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- High credit means lower prices – An insured’s credit rating can be an important factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims than those with poor credit scores. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you may save money insuring your vehicle by improving your credit score.
- Better rates on vehicles with better crash test results – Safer cars tend to be cheaper to insure. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means less money paid by your insurance company which can mean better rates for you.
- Don’t cancel your car insurance without a new one in place – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a fast way to increase your rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines or a revoked license. Then you may be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Kentucky department of motor vehicles.
Discounts can help to save on auto insurance
Some insurance providers don’t always list every available discount very clearly, so the below list has a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Lexington auto insurance online.
- Renewal Discounts – Some auto insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. It could save around 10% when you buy Lexington auto insurance online.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully take a driver’s education course in high school.
- Low Miles Discount – Low mileage vehicles can earn lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Lexington Homeowners Pay Less – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one insurance company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Drivers without accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To find insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Kentucky, follow this link.
Compare rates but buy from a local Lexington insurance agent
A lot of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional insurance agents can help you build your policy and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower premium rates and still buy from a local agent.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Lexington who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right provider should include more criteria than just a low price. Any agent in Lexington should be willing to answer these questions.
- How long has their agency been open in Lexington?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
How to choose the best car insurance agent in Lexington
When looking for a local agent, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they work. Agents in Lexington may be either exclusive or independent. Both types can insure your vehicles properly, but we need to point out why they differ because it can factor into your agent selection.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are Lexington exclusive insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
Joe Daugherty – State Farm Insurance Agent
651 Perimeter Dr Ste 204 – Lexington, KY 40517 – (859) 269-4990 – View Map
Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Fayette County – Versailles Rd
1316 Versailles Rd – Lexington, KY 40504 – (859) 253-1626 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If they quote lower rates, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to do anything. When comparing rate quotes, you will want to contact a few independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below are Lexington independent insurance agents that are able to give price quotes.
Quote often and quote early
Budget-friendly car insurance in Lexington is attainable both online in addition to many Lexington insurance agents, so get free Lexington auto insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not have the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agents.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to lower your car insurance premium rates in Lexington. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Additional learning opportunities
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Lexington? (FAQ)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)