Unbelievably, the vast majority of consumers in Kentucky have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Many drivers in the U.S. could save themselves up to 47% a year, but they just don’t understand the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Lexington is to start comparing prices yearly from companies who sell auto insurance in Kentucky. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- It will benefit you to learn about auto insurance and the measures you can take to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like tickets, at-fault accidents, and an unacceptable credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details.
- Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies. Start a quote
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper rate is available in Lexington. If you find better rates and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your agent or company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. Don’t forget to safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
An essential thing to point out is that you’ll want to compare similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get prices from as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
Choosing the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Lexington is actually quite simple. If you have a policy now, you stand a good chance to be able to shop for the lowest rates using these techniques. You just have to learn the quickest method to compare prices online.
How to buy Land Rover Discovery insurance in Lexington
Most companies give coverage prices on their websites. Obtaining pricing for Land Rover Discovery insurance in Lexington is easy for anyone as you just type in your coverage preferences into the quote form. Behind the scenes, their quoting system sends out for information on your driving record and credit history and returns pricing information determined by many factors. Getting online quotes for Land Rover Discovery insurance in Lexington streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to perform this step if you are searching for the cheapest insurance rates.
In order to compare rates using this form now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended that you enter the insurance coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have rate comparison quotes for similar insurance coverage.
The companies shown below offer price quotes in Kentucky. To find cheap car insurance in Lexington, KY, we suggest you click on several of them to get the most affordable price.
Eight discounts for cheap car insurance quotes
Car insurance is expensive, but there may be some discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but once in a while a discount must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Organization Discounts – Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Student Discounts – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some larger companies reward drivers for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Discovery insurance policy. You could save around 10% when you buy Lexington auto insurance online.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will reduce your premiums.
Popular car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, pay-in-full, good student, AAA membership discount, good driver, and multi-car.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, and online quote discount.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, good driver, anti-theft, student away at school, driver’s education, and multiple autos.
- Esurance may include discounts for good student, multi-car, good driver, homeowner, Pac-12 alumni, and paid-in-full.
- Nationwide discounts include defensive driving, accident-free, family plan, business or organization, easy pay, and multi-policy.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies how you can save money. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in your state. If you would like to view insurance companies who offer online Land Rover Discovery insurance quotes in Kentucky, click here.
Compare prices but buy from a local Lexington insurance agency
Some people would prefer to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended Agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing insurance online is you can get cheap insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Lexington who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you would need to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Any agent in Lexington should have no problem answering these questions:
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
Types of car insurance agents
When finding an insurance agent, there are two different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand the difference between them because it can factor into your agent selection.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company like State Farm or Allstate. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
The following are Lexington exclusive agents that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing rates, you will want to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Lexington who can help you get price quotes.
Al Jones Insurance Agency
274 Southland Dr, Suite #106A – Lexington, KY 40503 – (859) 276-0400 – View Map
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying a policy, there isn’t really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance should reflect that
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor’s mailbox?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Three reasons to insure your Discovery
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Kentucky these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Land Rover at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Car insurance protects your Land Rover and your assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Land Rover as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying car insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. The average driver in Kentucky is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like nursing services, dental work, rehabilitation expenses, hospital visits and surgery. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like hail damage, theft, damage from flooding and falling objects. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Land Rover Discovery.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (Kentucky limits are 25/50/10), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
This can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people. It protects you against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/10 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as legal defense fees, medical services, structural damage and court costs. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Kentucky state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Discovery caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like colliding with a tree, sustaining damage from a pot hole, scraping a guard rail, crashing into a ditch and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Discovery to get cheaper collision coverage.
Cheap insurance premiums are out there
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to compare Land Rover Discovery insurance rates in Lexington. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Tacoma in Lexington? (FAQ)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)