If you want to save money, the best way to find affordable Saturn Astra insurance is to do an annual price comparison from companies who provide car insurance in Lexington.
- First, try to learn a little about how car insurance works and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many things that result in higher prices such as traffic citations and a bad credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers. View insurance agents
- Third, compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to see if cheaper Astra coverage is available in Lexington. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application for the new policy. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
The key thing to remember is to compare the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get prices from as many carriers as you can. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
We don’t have to tell you that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. People who shop rates annually are highly likely to switch insurance companies because they have good chances of getting low-cost coverage. A survey found that drivers who routinely compared quotes saved about $3,500 over four years compared to other drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the cheapest price on Saturn Astra insurance in Lexington is why you’re reading this, learning the best ways to shop for coverage rates can help make the process easier.
The Saturn Astra Insurance Premium Equation
Lots of things are used when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although others are less apparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven. One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that help determine your auto insurance rates. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with lower rates.
Marriage equates to better prices – Your spouse may earn you lower rates on your auto insurance bill. Marriage usually means you are more stable financially and insurance companies like that being married results in fewer claims.
Don’t cancel your auto insurance without a new one in place – Driving without insurance coverage in place is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you fines or a revoked license. You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Kentucky motor vehicle department.
Too many auto insurance claims drive up premiums – Insurance companies in Kentucky give cheaper rates to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance is intended for larger claims.
What’s your car’s NHTSA crash test rating? – Safer cars tend to be cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce occupant injuries and lower injury rates means less claims paid and lower rates for you. If the Saturn Astra has at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may be receiving lower rates.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some companies don’t always list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to you. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you may be paying too high a price.
- Claim-Free Discount – Drivers who don’t have accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Lexington car insurance quote in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school.
- One Accident Forgiven – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Senior Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for a slight reduction on a Lexington car insurance quote.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for multiple cars with the same insurance company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
One thing to note about discounts is that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A few popular companies and their possible discounts are included below.
- 21st Century has discounts for theft prevention, homeowners, early bird, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, and air bags.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, driver’s education, multiple autos, safe vehicle, good driver, and Drive Safe & Save.
- AAA may include discounts for education and occupation, AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-car, and anti-theft.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for exclusive group savings, multi-policy, newly retired, new move discount, and new graduate.
- Progressive offers discounts including online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in Lexington. If you would like to view providers that offer discounts in Kentucky, follow this link.
One last thing to lower rates
Some insurance companies do not provide rate quotes online and usually these smaller providers only sell coverage through local independent agencies. Lower-priced car insurance in Lexington is definitely available from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
When you buy Lexington car insurance online, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We’ve covered many ideas to shop for Saturn Astra insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the lowest prices are with a small local company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Additional car insurance information is located at the links below
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How Much are Lexington Auto Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Lexington? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Lexington? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)