The best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Lexington is to begin comparing prices regularly from different companies who provide auto insurance in Kentucky.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about what is in your policy and the modifications you can make to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Solstice coverage is available in Lexington. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for your new policy. Once the paperwork is finalized, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you enter the same level of coverage on each quote and and to compare as many companies as you can. This ensures an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Amazingly, the vast majority of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for at least four years, and 38% of customers have never taken the time to shop around. With the average premium in Kentucky being $2,130, drivers could save as much as $600 a year, but they assume it’s a waste of time to compare rate quotes online.
Cheaper Pontiac Solstice insurance quotes in Lexington
Auto insurance companies do not list all available discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the harder-to-find auto insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not a discount per se, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will turn a blind eye to one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of up to 20% and get you cheap Solstice insurance.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories have much lower rates as opposed to drivers with a long claim history.
- Seat Belts Save – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
Just know that some credits don’t apply to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Lexington, follow this link.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Lexington, KY. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Kentucky, we suggest you get rates from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
A small number of people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! Good insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents in Lexington who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you wish to quote rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Picking the best company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Which family members are covered?
- How many years have they been established?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Is there a local claims center in Lexington?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a good insurance agency, there are a couple of types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in Lexington are classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s good to learn the differences because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. A lot of people buy insurance from these agents mainly due to the brand rather than low rates.
The following are Lexington exclusive insurance agents who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Tophan Kulkriwes – State Farm Insurance Agent
1010 Monarch St #250 – Lexington, KY 40513 – (859) 276-4422 – View Map
- State Farm – Bob Pitman
851 Corporate Dr Ste 200 – Lexington, KY 40503 – (859) 223-1191 – View Map
- Bob Pugh – State Farm Insurance Agent
828 Lane Allen Rd #251 – Lexington, KY 40504 – (859) 276-4421 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are not locked into one company and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and find you the best rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you should always include rate quotes from a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with different regional companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Lexington willing to provide price quotes.
- Ky Insurance and Investment
1801 Alexandria Dr – Lexington, KY 40504 – (859) 373-1282 – View Map
- KY Insurance and Investment Grp
3320 Clays Mill Rd Suite 214 – Lexington, KY 40503 – (859) 224-0316 – View Map
- Barnes Insurance Center
1202 Winchester Rd #100 – Lexington, KY 40505 – (859) 253-2728 – View Map
Once you have received good responses to these questions as well as a affordable price, it’s possible that you found an insurance agent that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
Three reasons to insure your Pontiac vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Pontiac Solstice in Lexington, car insurance is required in Kentucky but it also protects you in many ways.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Kentucky these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Pontiac Solstice, almost every bank will force you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Pontiac for a lot more money and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. An average driver in America overpays more than $830 a year so shop around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Information about specific coverages
Understanding the coverages of your insurance policy can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like hitting a deer, hitting a bird, falling objects and vandalism. The maximum amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This gives you protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Pontiac Solstice.
Since many Kentucky drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Kentucky limits are 25/50/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Liability auto insurance
Liability coverage can cover damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/10 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical services, legal defense fees, funeral expenses and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Kentucky requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things such as backing into a parked car, rolling your car, hitting a mailbox and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Solstice to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses for hospital visits, prosthetic devices, surgery and chiropractic care. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
One last thing to lower rates
As you quote Lexington car insurance, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like policy non-renewal, denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions and even questionable increases in premium. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
A few companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents. Budget-conscious Pontiac Solstice insurance can be purchased online in addition to many Lexington insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Much more information about insurance in Kentucky is available below:
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has the Cheapest Lexington Car Insurance Rates for Retired Military? (FAQ)
- How Much are Lexington Auto Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Lexington? (FAQ)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)